Sunday, July 3, 2011

Where are the people?

I set this blog up to try and give people who have had bad experiences at  Parkland an opportunity to Speak Up and let their stories be heard.  My thought process behind this is that one voice isn't going to make that big of a difference, but many voices might.  I want to try and force something to happen.  I know there are a lot of things brewing, thanks to some brave people who have stepped up to report wrongdoing, and thanks to the Dallas Morning News articles pointing it all out.  I don't know what I, as one individual, can do to help "the cause", but I know that there is strength in numbers.  If I can find some more stories, it will carry a lot more weight with those who might actually do something about it.

For instance, I want to contact Elba Garcia and Clay Jenkins.  They appeared to be interested in getting to the bottom of the Parkland/UTSW issue, but then they backed off.  Why?  I want to ask them.  However, not even being a resident of Dallas County, will they even give any credence to me?  If I can find others willing to step forward, though, I think they will.  I want to go to a Parkland Board meeting - - I might even go to a meeting of the County Commissioners - - but it would be SO much more effective if I had some others to go with me.

I think a great deal of the problem is that (most likely) MOST of the people who are patients at Parkland are not people who get online and read newspaper articles, follow Facebook, or post on blogs.  That being the case, does anyone have any thoughts about how I might find them?

2 comments:

  1. Parkland is ruthless when it comes to retaliation. They have threatened to fire anyone who criticizes them, regardless of first amendment rights to free speech. Many are frightened. Including patients. A family member posted something on Dallashealthcare.blogspot.com yesterday. After complaining they canceled all of her appointments, and won't let her get any new ones. Even though she seems to be having complications from an operation. Many people have been intimidated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Parkland and UTSW manage through fear and intimidation. They prey on the weak and ignorant. I am one of the weak and ignorant ones when I was taken to Parkland for a broken ankle a while back. It turned out to be a very ugly experience and I will pay for it for the rest of my life.

    Three years ago (April 2008) I broke my ankle in three places and was taken to Parkland’s emergency room for surgery. I was treated well and sent home the next day with instructions for follow up care. Two months later, I developed a blood clot and suffered a pulmonary embolism. At no time was I told by anyone at Parkland that lower extremity trauma (such as a broken leg or major surgery) and being every tall (I’m 6’ 5”) put me at risk for a blood clot. I learned later that other hospitals – like Charlton Methodist where I was treated for the blood clot and embolism – provide brochures to patients about avoiding blood clots and automatically put patients with lower extremity trauma on blood thinners to prevent blood clots.

    At Parkland, I was never told about the possibility of developing a blood clot or how to avoid one. Had I been taken to Baylor or Methodist in the first place, I probably would have never developed a blood clot and a pulmonary embolism, missed more than four months of work, and gotten fired. Thank you, Parkland.

    If Parkland took the millions it spends on PR and PTSD (Preserving its Total State of Denial), and used it to improve patient care, it would be a much better hospital.

    As it is, Parkland reminds me of that old joke I paraphrase here: The patient care died, but the operation was a success.

    ~Daniel

    ReplyDelete